Don't Miss

Final Full Throttle Construction Update

By on June 20, 2013

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Logo

As I write this, there is less than 48 hours before the Full Throttle roller coaster opens to the public at Six Flags Magic Mountain. There is less than 12 hours before a very lucky group of us gets to start riding it as part of Media Day. Therefore, this will be my final Full Throttle construction update. First thing tomorrow morning I will be tweeting live updates from the ride.

The overall Full Throttle Plaza looks very good, but there is still lots of work to be done. The large queue covering has been installed, as well as a very large video monitor to keep you entertained as you wait:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Here’s a closer photo of the covering and how it’s installed:

Full Throttle Construction Update

There was another large video wall being assembled on a small stage while I was there, just in front of the covered area:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Judging by the covered up podium and the speakers, I’m thinking this is a temporary setup for Media Day. I’m sure this is where Bonnie Rabjohn, Six Flags Magic Mountain’s President, will deliver the dedication for the new ride:

Full Throttle Construction Update

The stage area to the left of that has a lot of lights and massive speakers on top facing outwards, making me think this will be a stage for performers:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Across the plaza from the stage is a small concrete pad with an electrical console on it, perhaps for lighting control or a DJ setup:

Full Throttle Construction Update

There are light stands placed around the perimeter of the plaza with different types of lights on them. The top light swivels around, so it should look pretty cool at night:

Full Throttle Construction Update

The front of the “Freestyle” building has received some new signage:

The Full Throttle name is prominent across the top:

Full Throttle Construction Update

There is a Coca-Cola Freestyle sign dead center on the front of the building. I’ve heard there could be up to three Freestyle machines inside. For lack of a better name due to three different businesses inside, I’m going to call this the Freestyle building:

Full Throttle Construction Update

The signs for the two food locations have not yet been installed, but the High Octane Wings sign was sitting off to the side, ready to go up:

Here’s the menu board for the High Octane Wings side:

Full Throttle Construction Update

The other food location on the right side will be Loaded Dogs. There is a grill just outside where they will be cooking the dogs. Looks like they may have been doing some training:

Here is the menu board for Loaded Dogs:

Full Throttle Construction Update

The side door on the Freestyle building was open and I peeked in. I’m amazed at how little space was actually used for the two food locations and retail space. If you remember Palace Games, you’ll recognize the counter. Over half the building hasn’t been touched:

Full Throttle Construction Update

The Glass Crafts and Airbrush building almost looks done. It looks like it’s getting an awning all the way around as a final touch before the signs. There are also quite a few new tables and chairs ready to be setup:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Lots of new landscaping, including grass, to spruce the area up:

Full Throttle Construction Update

More landscaping. You’d never even know that a building used to sit here:

Full Throttle Construction Update

There’s a nice new fence that seals off the plaza from the High Sierra Territory area:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Unfortunately, that fence doesn’t extend down the other side of the old Log Jammer station. It’s still just a construction wall. Hopefully they’ll fix that in time. The Full Throttle station still doesn’t have a cover, but somebody mentioned on my Facebook page that it will eventually, just not for Media Day:

Full Throttle Construction Update

The only shade to be had up on top is a couple of umbrellas for the ride operators:

Full Throttle Construction Update

The air gates are complete and dividers have been installed for each row of seats:

Full Throttle Construction Update

A new sign was going up for “High Sierra Traders: The Territories’ Finest Vendors.” I’m not sure what to think about this. The only shop through here is the Sierra Treats candy store. Perhaps they will eventually add some new shops in this area:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Up on the Superman Plaza, the freshly painted logo looks absolutely fantastic:

Full Throttle Construction Update

The cameras for the on-ride photos are going up just after you come out of the loop:

Full Throttle Construction Update

The photo booth is located on the exit path, after you cross back under the track:

Full Throttle Construction Update

They’ve added some flashing red rope lighting to the entrance of the tunnel. There are also new speakers mounted on both sides of the tunnel entrance:

Full Throttle Construction Update

This is nothing compared to other videos out there, but I did finally happen to catch a glimpse of the Full Throttle train testing today. Unfortunately, by the time I got my camera turned on, all I could catch was it coming back over the loop:

That’s it for now! The next photos I post will be from within the Full Throttle Plaza itself and from on the Full Throttle roller coaster. We’ll begin riding around 4:00 am tomorrow morning. Be sure to watch the morning news to catch us in the act. You can also Like my Facebook page, where I’ll be posting lots of pics tomorrow. I’ll also be posting to my Twitter account, so you can see them there as well.

1. Michael M

06/20/2013 at 7:34 pm

The plaza looks amazing. I noticed there was misters in the plaza in the ground. I talked to multiple people today and full throttle will eventually get a cover just like the entrance over the station. I happened to notice a go pro camera on one of the trains so I am expecting a pov from SFMM soon. The whole area looked great and I can’t wait to ride it!!!

2. alex

06/20/2013 at 7:42 pm

i cant see the video, its private

3. Geo

06/20/2013 at 7:44 pm

great update! .. the full throttle test video isn’t working, it says it’s set on private.

4. Isaiah

06/20/2013 at 7:45 pm

Looks like its all coming together. Kind of strange to see them open a ride before the Station is complete though, Seems rushed. No matter, ill be there Sat morning at 8.

5. Selvin

06/20/2013 at 8:55 pm

I can’t believe it’s almost time for Full Throttle’s opening! I’m going to ride it as much times as I can during the Midnight Early Rider Time!

6. JJJ

06/20/2013 at 9:12 pm

The ride opens in a day and they couldnt get the station roof done? They havent put the signs up yet?

Thats sort of inexcusable. When a ride gets delayed because of electrical issues, testing etc….thats sort of ok because its complicated stuff.

But not being able to coordinate the installation of a canvas roof for a ride thats been over a year in the making…?

What is this, the county fair?

It just seems like amateur hour. The whole setup looks super rushed and temporary, and they couldnt even get that done….

• zac

06/20/2013 at 10:11 pm

you’re honestly the most negative person I have ever encountered. Why don’t you look at the pictures and realize the amazing things they have done? It’s still not tomorrow and they still have time. Appreciate that they are trying to take a step in the right directions. And this is the first time in a long time they have not postponed the opening of a new ride.

• James

06/20/2013 at 11:01 pm

Zac, I agree with you.
        This guy seems to be a typical person who thinks that a theme park owes him something, that he is somehow entitled to an opinion on their operations!
        It’s quite common these days in a me, me, me culture.
        Unfortunately people are often just narrow minded and have no idea about the business side of operating a park…. Yes, people, ALL parks are businesses and exist to make money!

It seems for this project the park has listened to all the feedback and tried to please everybody.
        Some people wanted a new exciting ride, others wanted an improvement in the park’s layout and themeing.

So what have the park done?
        They have removed a clapped out ride that was leaking money, put in a new coaster(short but sweet) but they have also improved the area, put in more shops, freestyle coke machines, a stage area and given a facelift to a very tired area….. And they have not overspent doing it.

Credit where credit is due!

• JJJJ

06/21/2013 at 7:44 am

Why are you somehow entitled to an opinion on my opinion?

• JJJJ

06/21/2013 at 7:49 am

You do realize we’re talking about a billion dollar company and not an after-school volunteer project, right?

I’m sorry if pointing out inexcusable management problems hurt their feelings. :(

• tacalert

06/21/2013 at 8:08 am

JJJ, you are right on the money. SFMM screwed this up and they aren’t even ready. They already cancelled the media event today because the state and county have not signed off on the project yet.

My kids were supposed to be part of the media day this morning and now their day has been ruined. THanks SFMM.

• Dane. P

06/21/2013 at 2:56 pm

dude calm down let’s leave Sixflags alone. They just want the ride itself to be opened on time.

• Phil

06/21/2013 at 3:46 pm

I understand you might not be happy with what JJJ said, but nothing he said was not true. Yes, they got a lot done in the past couple days, and some of it looks “OK” but why do they always seem to have to rush it? Why can’t they make an opening date and beat that date for once?

I myself am excited for the coaster itself, but no longer hope for Six Flags to provide any kind of immerse experience when it comes to all the intangibles. Too many times stuff is put up on opening and non-operational within a year.

I will hold my judgement on the final product of Full Throttle when I go tomorrow, but as of now as JJJ said, things look rushed, temporary, and carnival-y. This is not a fair its a world renowned theme park, and it would be nice if they started acting like it.

• JIMMY TOVAR

06/21/2013 at 5:21 am

Dude, stop hating and being so negative. The poeple at Six Flags are a brilliant bunch of people that I’m sure, they are leaving things the way they are for a reason.

• JJJJ

06/21/2013 at 7:46 am

Stop hating and being negative? Look, Im excited to ride this thing, but theyre an enormous company. One should expect a company of that size be properly run enough that they’re able to install a canvas roof in time for opening day.

The fact that they werent is troubling and indicates mismanagement and some level of incompetence.

Remember when they threatened to close the park a few years ago? I dont ever want to see that happen, but if the people running the park, can’t manage it, thats a serious problem because it could eventually lead to closure.

• Casey

06/21/2013 at 9:12 am

Magic Mountain does in a year what some parks can’t even do in two years, so why don’t you shut your mouth and be happy with what you see! If you don’t have something nice to say, then don’t say it at all! I swear, there’s more drama here than there is in a high school! I would know because i’m im ninth grade!

• JJJ

06/21/2013 at 1:30 pm

Casey, I can tell you’re a child because you’re yet to understand how to deal with a conversation where an opinion is different from yours. It’s also clear you don’t understand accountability and anything about operations management.

Why don’t you enjoy some crow now that you see what other major problems they had this morning? They clearly were not ready.

• Mikey

06/21/2013 at 1:50 pm

The only reason why the ride had yet to open at the originated time is because state had yet to sign off. And jjj you need to calm down. And do you understand operations management? Have you worked as that I dont think so. So dont assume. Casey had a great point your juat mad because a high school student knew what to say

• Dane. P

06/21/2013 at 2:58 pm

FRESHMAN!!!!!!!

• JJJ

06/21/2013 at 5:24 pm

Uh, yes mikey, I have worked in operations management…?

• Casey

06/21/2013 at 6:09 pm

JJJ, you are being very rude about this whole situation. You are also a very incompetent person. I didn’t state any “opinions”, I just told it like it was. YOU have some very one-sided opinions as a matter-of-fact. The only thing that was wrong this morning was the canvas over the station.I didn’t see anything else that was wrong. It seems like you have many complaints about this park, so if you don’t like it,build a bridge and get over it. Also, i’m not a child, i’m a teen, so if you don’t know the facts don’t state them? Got it? I hope you do. God, it’s people like you who just make the world an unpleasant place to live.

7. Kieran

06/20/2013 at 9:17 pm

I might go to the opening, :)

8. Brenden

06/20/2013 at 9:31 pm

Im so excited, except for the loading station. I just wish it was themed more. Will that happen?

• Tony

06/21/2013 at 11:19 am

Yes, there will be more elaborate theming by saturday. With the station roof, signs and lights for the evening. I have a feeling this will be spectacular when the sun sets.

06/22/2013 at 7:27 am

I still don’t understand “Full Throttle” as a theme. Pirate, space, superhero, princess…those are all themes I can relate to, but a Full Throttle lifestyle? Not so much. I understand what they’re going after, living life to the fullest, but how do you theme to that? How is diamond plating considered a Full Throttle theming element? I just don’t get the correlation. Everything they’re doing screams “Speed” theme to me.

9. Looper

06/20/2013 at 9:37 pm

Looking forward to grabbing a funnel cake and heading up the Sky Tower and watching this FT run. Where are guests to park for the Midnight Rides / KROQ event? Think somewhere i read that must be there by 11pm so is there a charge for parking?

10. brandon

06/20/2013 at 10:01 pm

Great progress they’ve made over the last few days. Interesting how this came down to the wire much like Terminator Apocalypse did a few years back. I just hope that the rush doesn’t mean a lower quality…especially with the new paint and whatnot. Bright colors don’t do well in that sun unless they use a high-quality fade resistant paint.

Hope folks respect the new landscaping and dont trash it!

And I don’t think not having the station cover-up is a big deal considering everything else that could simply not be there. I am more interested to see just how much of a letdown that tunnel is gonna be. Rope lights? Really?

• Casey

06/21/2013 at 9:15 am

Agreed.

06/22/2013 at 7:31 am

We were so HOT waiting in that summer sun on top of that station! I definitely wish the covering had been there. Many people got really burned, especially the Six Flags employees that had to stand up there all day. But to be fair, we were up there quite a bit longer than most people will be because we had to wait for camera setups, people to be moved around to different seats, etc. It always takes longer when you’re filming the ride. A line during regular operations will be moving much quicker.

11. XYZ

06/20/2013 at 10:06 pm

It’s great to see that SFMM repainted the Superman logo.

Also, I always laugh at SFMM’s high prices as in one of the pictures, it shows a Full Throttle hot dog for $11! I’m still fine with eating at Wendy’s across the street.

• Phil

06/21/2013 at 3:39 pm

Seriously, an $11 hot dog? A $10 corndog? That’s so ridiculous.

Disneyland has perhaps the worlds best corndogs and even those are only $7.

06/22/2013 at 7:34 am

The hot dog that I had was really good, but I honestly can’t see myself paying that much for one. I’ll stick to my dining pass at other eateries in the park. The dining pass is not valid at either of these two locations.

12. MichaelOchs

06/20/2013 at 10:07 pm

Looks great thankyou for the awesome update, will you be posting pictures on FB or here besides twitter? Thanks and about media day, who is it all for? Thanks I hope everyone has fun . :)

13. zac

06/20/2013 at 10:19 pm

thank you so much for all the updates, Kurt! You’ve done a “full throttle” job. I’m so excited to see this ride entertain thousands of guests. I’m especially excited to see the all new “Full Throttle Nights.” If the new full throttle area is anything like DC Universe, SFMM will hit it right out of the park.

14. Looper

06/20/2013 at 10:23 pm

I must say I will never have my lips enjoy a $9.99 corn dog.

06/22/2013 at 7:35 am

Sure you will…just as long as someone else is paying! ;-)

06/20/2013 at 10:31 pm

First ride only about six hours away…

16. Jodi

06/20/2013 at 11:59 pm

See you guys at Media Day!!!

• tacalert

06/21/2013 at 8:09 am

MEdia day…..cancelled.

17. Ralph B.

06/21/2013 at 12:06 am

The Full Throttle Plaza looks absolutely amazing. Looking at these pictures just made me even more excited to be there at 8am on Saturday morning. Can’t believe it’s finally going to open. I am so looking forward to ride it. Thanks for all the updates, Kurt. See you guys there!!!! :)

18. JIMMY TOVAR

06/21/2013 at 5:26 am

Thanks for giving us insomniacs something to read about in anticipation of the opening. I still can’t believe how good the Superman plaza looks!! I’m hoping they aren’t just leaving the red light ropes all loose like that. It looks cheap. Overall great job SFMM, and Kurt.

19. Mikey

06/21/2013 at 8:41 am

So since media day is cancelled since what I have heard, the roller coaster has not passed state inspection, did midnight ride time actually happen?

• Adam

06/21/2013 at 8:53 am

Midnight ride time is tonight. I hope it happens as I have been looking forward to it since they announced it!

• Mikey

06/21/2013 at 9:01 am

Oh for some reason I was thinking it happened before media day haha!

20. blake

06/21/2013 at 9:00 am

there was a delay

21. Vince

06/21/2013 at 9:02 am

It’s a few minutes away from being approved by state as of 9:00am fox 11 news is present and will announce when it’s officially approved

• Arkhamar

06/21/2013 at 9:59 am

Yes, Tony McEwing of Fox11 is sitting on the coaster as of 9:55am. He has verified they are waiting for the approval from Sacramento (email) which could come any minute. Tony wants to stay and be the first news reporter to ride FT. Anybody heard from Kurt? I can imagine he cannot be too happy waiting since 4am! I for some reason can’t get into his Facebook/Twitter accounts.

22. Patrick

06/21/2013 at 9:35 am

I hope it is open tomorrow!

23. Patrick

06/21/2013 at 9:35 am

I hope it is open tomorrow, I really want to ride it!

24. Mikey

06/21/2013 at 9:47 am

Haha thanks Casey. And yes Magic Mountain is built for thrills not necessarily theme. You can not compare SFMM to Disneyland. There rides take longer because they have a theme. And Full Throttle will be on channel11 fyI one of the few news channels covering it.

25. tacalert

06/21/2013 at 10:59 am

Will not be riding this tomorrow even if it is open. Seems like SFMM rushed this one and more testing should be done.

26. Mikey

06/21/2013 at 12:16 pm

WATCH! haha here is an onride POV it stops before they launch over the top hot. Bummer =/ but here http://www.myfoxla.com/story/22654256/anchor-tony-mcewing-screams-like-a-girl-on-a-rollercoaster?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=9015979

• Casey

06/21/2013 at 6:14 pm

It’s a dead link :( . But thanks anyways, it’s the thought that counts. :) God, I seemed a little bi-polar there,happy then sad. :D

27. Mikey

06/21/2013 at 1:46 pm

• Casey

06/21/2013 at 6:13 pm

Thank you, Mikey.

28. Lee

06/21/2013 at 1:58 pm

I very excited for this new ride. I haven’t been there for a while but I’ll be very happy to at least ride it.

However the one thing that does bother me is that they should have invested in a third train. Only for the fact that if one has to go into maintenance there isn’t just one train running. It’s fine for off season when there’s hardly anyone around but during the summer time?! That’s devastating. But since I love thrills I can’t hate the park. I blame SF Corporate for that. :)

29. James Z (not the other James)

06/21/2013 at 3:49 pm

Yay for no shade on the station, lots of concrete, and MORE televisions!!

LOL @ the workers putting up the signs in High Sierra Territory using the Coca Cola recycling bins to tie off yellow construction tape.

Lots of the other stuff looks great, they’ve got a lot done in a little amount of time, thanks for the update(s)! Can’t wait to ride at 8am tomorrow!

30. Arkhamar

06/21/2013 at 4:20 pm

Here’s an awesome video which covers the opening events of Full Throttle:
    Actual footage begins at 5:00 and POV front facial views begin at 2:25.
    The hang time on the inside loop looks epic! Can’t wait to ride!! Midnight Riders will have so much fun. Hopefully the inside tunnel special effects will be on!

• Arkhamar

06/21/2013 at 4:25 pm

“whoops sorry, actual footage begins at 1:15 and POV front facial views begins roughly at 4:00.

• JJJ

06/21/2013 at 5:28 pm

Nice video! Upside down time looks good.

31. Casey

06/21/2013 at 6:11 pm

What are the effects supposed to be inside the tunnel? I see none whatsoever.

32. Casey

06/21/2013 at 6:15 pm

Will they be showing Full Throttle Nights tonight?

• zac

06/21/2013 at 7:23 pm

they are!

• Casey

06/21/2013 at 8:36 pm

Is it good? Or,better,are you there now? There should be a video of it.

33. Misael Soto

06/21/2013 at 7:08 pm

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, Ill reserve my judgement for my own eyes and experience. I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion.

34. Brendan

06/21/2013 at 8:58 pm

People’s comments got pretty tense.

I’m just happy they didn’t have to delay it more than a couple hours. Hopefully I can get out in a couple weeks to check this ride out.